Friday, February 12, 2010

The Little Stranger - Sarah Waters

I just finished reading The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, and I'm not quite sure what to think.  This is going to sound ridiculous, but it was recommended by Stephen King (yes, that Stephen King), and I tend to like the books he suggests (see:  Ravens).  

The Little Stranger is part social commentary and part ghost story.  Frankly, I expected a litte heavier emphasis on the ghost story, and was disappointed to find the "scary parts" were few and far between.  There is a definitely a suspense aspect to the book, but the ending didn't quite deliver.  I kept forcing myself to pick it up and read, thinking that the next page might hold something shocking or surprising or revealing.  Alas, no. 

The commentary on social classes and the changing times was interesting, sure, but not the reason I picked up the book in the first place.  I mean, c'mon!  Stephen King likes scary things, right?!

Am I missing something?  Is there a deeper meaning I'm not quite grasping?  Did something shocking happen while I was skimming the pages?  Has anyone else read this book?  Insights, comments, questions are welcome here.

No comments:

Post a Comment