Monday, August 17, 2009

No Time For Losers

I made a discovery about myself this weekend. I am hyper-competitive, and it is not entirely attractive. I announced this to Tim and Abra, and they were not quite as surprised by my revelation as I. In fact, Tim nodded vigorously in agreement, and said, "Yeah, Babe, sometimes you can be scary." Ouch.

Without going into the unflattering details, my Soccer Mom level of competiveness reached new heights on Saturday during a particulary heated game of Flip Cup. Yes, a drinking game. Even as I was yelling at team members, verbally abusing the opposite team, and beating myself up over our loss, I could see that my behavior was, well, not good. And yet, I could not stop myself.

I know that competition is healthy, and even having a competitive spirit is a good thing. But there has got to be a limit. And so, no more yelling "You let the team down!" to my Euchre partners. No more throwing the Scrabble board across the room when Tim uses both the X and Z in a triple score word. No more trash talking during games or competitions of any sort. I will remain competitive, but in a healthy, fun-having, good sport sort of way.

All gloating and self-congratulation will, of course, continue to take place internally. I mean, a zebra can't totally change her stripes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment