Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Turn Around, Bright Eyes

On the way to work today, the woman driving in front of me was really digging the song she was listening to. REALLY digging it. She was banging her head, singing out loud. She had the windows down on her car, and she was doing a full-on Stevie Nicks dance, arms flailing out the window, performing her own little concert.
I was at once both scornful and jealous. Part of me really wanted to, well, make fun of this lady. Who does she think she is, driving to work on a Wednesday, all together too happy with herself? We're stuck in a traffic jam on I-5 for God's sake. There's nothing to be that excited about already.
Alternately, I admire her. She is making the best of a bad situation. She's loving life and her music. Who knows? Maybe she got a little that morning before work, and she's just satisfied and happy.
I found myself laughing and smiling as she performed. I waved at her when I pulled off the interstate.

I wish I knew what song she was listening to. I'm imagining "Total Eclipse of the Heart". Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment