Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Snap Crackle Pop

I am finding it alternately upsetting and hilarious that I am currently reading a book about a woman my own age cooking her way through a famous French cookbook while I had a difficult time making Rice Krispie Treats. Culinary genius, I am not.

It's true. I attempted to make Rice Krispie Treats last night for our staff picnic. And although I do not normally bake, I figured I could whip up some mean Treats because, after all, I used to make these things when I was 8. Ha. Rice Krispies are flying out of the bowl. Marshmallow is stuck to the stove top, my face and my hair as well as to the 3 spoons I am using to try and stir the big goopy mess. Also, one would think that one could purchase the ingredients for the Treats without actually consulting a recipe. Well, one would be wrong. You are supposed to use a 10oz bag of the big marshmallows. I had the minis. A 16oz bag of the minis. I assumed (incorrectly) that 16oz of the minis would actually equal 10oz of the regulars, you know, since they're smaller. This is not good logic. In fact, it's just plain wrong. Thus, the excess of marshmallow. The Treats are actually basically white in color and not Rice Krispie colored because of the addition of 6 additional ounces of marshmallow. Perhaps they should be called Marshmallow Treats instead.

Incidentally, I did get a number of compliments on the marshmallow-lovers Treats today at the picnic.

Watch out, Julie and Julia. I'm coming for ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment