Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day Five - Kauai - Wake Up, Silly Giant!

Good morning, Wednesday! 

After our day where nothing went right, we are up and ready to go.  Yes, gentle reader, another hike.  This morning we're planning on waking up the giant on the Sleeping Giant Hike (aka East Nounou Trail) in Kapa'a.  This hike is about 2 miles each way, and you gain about 1,000 feet in elevation.  This is a great hike.  Gorgeous views, tough in some places, perfect for a morning activity when you've got something planned for the afternoon.





After our hike, we had a deliciously relaxing afternoon.  We lazed around, read, and finally went snorkeling at Lydgate Beach.  Now, I know you won't believe this, but I was actually quite terrified of snorkeling.  I am not a strong swimmer, and I hate having my head underwater.  I knew it was going to be challenging for me, but I was ready to try.  The first few times I put my face in, I ended up coughing and sputtering.  Yes, I know there is no real reason for this.  But with the patience and encouragement from my fabulous fiance, I was totally a snorkeling pro in no time.  And it was super fun!  Now I heart snorkeling.  And we saw some super-cool fish too.  Wish I could remember what they were. 

Early evening we headed out to a restaurant called Hukilau Lanai.  It's in one of the resorts in the Coconut Marketplace, and from 5p - 6p, they have a five course tasting menu for $40 - including wine!  We wisely skipped lunch today so we could take advantage.  And seriously, SO happy we did.  I think this was our best meal on the island.   And it was a really beautiful setting too.  Open-air restaurant with ocean views, great service, and the food was oh-so-good.  I am happy to provide specific menu details if anyone would like them.  Ahem, Abra. 

After our delicious and romantic meal, we headed over to Trees Lounge, also in the Marketplace.  This ended up being our favorite bar in Kauai.  Their happy hour goes until 7p (Kauai happies are usually only until 6p).  They mix up some delicious martinis, and they have some good beer on tap too.  They have live music almost every night, and it's got a great vibe, cool ambience.  Super friendly bartenders and servers too.  We didn't eat anything here, but the menu looked interesting. 

Well-fed and well-hydrated, we're ready for bed at our normal hour of 11pm.  We've got a big hike tomorrow so we need our 8 hours.  Yeah, I think this is an indication of growing old up.  We don't plan our vacays around partying, we plan them around activities.  (And sometimes maitais.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment