Thursday, February 12, 2009

Yeah, that would hurt....

I just got the Sweetheart compilation, and it has a cover of Bruce Springsteen’s I’m On Fire on it. So I am, of course, reminded of Katie.
Going to my Dad’s wedding when we’re seniors in high school, Katie is driving, and we’re not really sure where we’re going. I’m On Fire is on the radio, and I’m singing along. I’m also trying to navigate, but I’m not doing a very good job because, well, I’m not a very good navigator. I would yell, “That’s it!” And she would start to make a turn, and I would realize, “Oh wait. That’s not it.” And she would abruptly swerve back to the main road. This happened three or four times. And then the last time, immediately after saying, “Oh wait...” I realized that “Oh crap. That WAS it.” And she had to u-turn in the middle of the road. She was understandably irritated at my poor directional skills. And I was still singing along to the Boss. For anyone that has heard my singing voice, you will know that it would be annoying as well.
Bruce and I sing, “Sometimes it’s like someone took a knife, baby, edgy and dull, and cut a six inch valley in the middle of my.....” But I stop cause I’m confused.
“Is it ‘soul’ or ‘skull’”? I ask Katie.
“What?” she says, trying to not get us killed as she u-turns.
“Does he say ‘soul’ or ‘skull’ right there?”
“I don’t know, Emily. I think it’s toe.”
“WHAT?!” I shriek, laughing already. “You think he’s got a six inch valley in the middle of his toe?!”
“Yes,” says Katie. “That’s why he’s on fire. Cause his toe hurts so bad.” She’s very matter-of-fact about the whole thing.
Yep, that’s why he’s on fire, all right. Cause he toe hurts so bad. Katie is so deep.
I love my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment