Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 1 - more kale, less camembert

Please welcome me back after a months-long hiatus. 

So here's the deal. For the next two weeks minimum, I will try definitely omit wheat, dairy, and processed foods from my diet.  I suspect I may have an allergy to either gluten or lactose, and I'm hoping a little elimination diet will help.  Also, who couldn't use a few more fruits and veggies in their diet?  So that's it.  No wheat.  No dairy.  No crap.  How hard could it be?  Yeah, right.

Also, I'm going to try and blog about this every day, not so much for the Gentle Reader's entertainment, but really just to keep a record of it all. 

Day 1 has actually gone very well. 

Breakfast - Steel cut oats with vanilla almond milk and blueberries
Lunch - Lemon quinoa with dried cranberries and raw kale with tahini garlic sauce 
Dinner - Grilled salmon with aspargus, mushroom and onion stir-fry plus strawberries
Snack - Sunflower seeds

All great meals, never felt deprived, wasn't ever really hungry or denying cravings.  I definitely could have come home and had a slice of cheese before dinner.  I didn't.  Energy level was good.  Didn't notice a real change.  Overall, day 1 was a success.

1 comment:

  1. Good work! I'm rooting for you! your meals sound great! If you have a sweet potato lying around, try cubing it and roasting it with some oil and salt & pepper and having that over quinoa-- I like.
    Also-- dairy free recipes: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/categories/special-dietary-needs/dairy-free/
    and gluten free recipes: http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/categories/special-dietary-needs/gluten-free/

    ReplyDelete